My Fishing trip out On The East Coast

My fishing trip to the east coast

Day 1      On the Boat

Today was the first day on the boat, the job for the day was to set all the traps that the Capt and I had gotten ready over the past couple weeks with the help of the new helper Kalil we put bait (fresh Harring) into each of the traps approx 5 Herring per trap and then stacked each of the traps in order 6 traps across the with of the boat and then 6 traps high per row x 4 rows. After loading the boat we parked the boat for the night and awaited setting day. Moring came fast not much  sleep for me as I was to excited to get out for my first day on the water. After every trap was set we headed back to the dock to load the 2nd half of the traps onto the boat. Again the same amount of traps were loaded and we immediately headed back out to sea to set the rest of the traps.


It took approx 3ish hours to set all the traps per boat load and the seas were fairly calm just a few rolling waves. The hardest part was to make sure your feet were nowhere near the ropes attached to the traps getting set for if even one rope had looped around my foot then over the side I go and straight to the bottom of the ocean.

Once the traps were set it was about 7pm and the day was done, now I wait for morning to see if any little lobsters have liked the bait I set for them.

The next morning I was up and out the door at 530am all the other captains and their crew had already left the dock by the time we were about ready to head out and there was no sign of Kalil (the other helper). It was just me and the Skip headed out into 25km North east winds to see what was in the traps. We pulled our first trap and there was 1 or 2 lobsters in it that were keepers and another half dozen that were either too small to keep of they were females with eggs which get thrown back. After a few more traps were hauled in there were several more keepers on deck which the Capt sorted and I banned them for the market and put in to a holding tank.


The winds were steady which made for some rough seas  and some awkward moving around the deck but after a short time I seemed to get me sea legs and managed to stay on the right side of the boat (in it) LOL. We managed to get all our traps rebaited and set back in the water ready to to it all again in the morning and we were off to the wharf to unload our catch of the day.

Once unloaded the captain decided to give me a few lobster for the pot and a few extra for good luck (I guess) which works out well for me, and off I went to try my first Lobster feast back at my trailer.


there was enough lobster not only for a feast but for sandwiches for the next 3 days for lunch on the boat. anyway day 2 came way to fast I was definatly tired from the previous day especially with the lack of another helper. however we managed to get er done and I headed home for an early night sleep.

after day 2 on the boat of hauling the lobster my back ached, but it was my hands giving me most of my pain my left wrist and the back of my right hand were swollen and I could barely move them at the end of the 2nd day I was almost completely useless on the boat I couldn’t hold anything but we managed again and ill head to the store for some pain killers so ill be ready by morning.  (here”s hoping)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s